28 ARTISTS & JOURNALISTS
their work and words, interviews, blogs, images, hints, tips, websites
and more...

Thursday, April 19, 2012

More Pentel Pocketbrushery!


Pental Pocketbrushes are fun, and can be used in a variety of ways, depending on how much time you have and how much control.  The one above was very fast, the jalopy was when I had a lot of time...

And yes of course I was inspired by Roz's post the other day!



The Starbucks people were fast, too...but nice and bold!  Given their black ink, they're not really the tool to use for delicacy or subtlety, but they ARE great for quick sketches.


Use it alone, or combine with other mediums...watercolor, gouache, colored pencil, you name it.  The one of my cats, above, has a Japanese feel to it, to me... 

I've also used a Kuretake brush pen, but it seems a bit more temperamental...

And I like my Noodler's  Konrad piston fill brush pen, which you can fill with the ink of your choice, but it's out of stock--I believe Noodler's is redesigning it.  I hope they do, I'd recommend it!

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this! I bought one today and LOVE it!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are fun, Steven, glad you like! I do hope Noodler's comes out with a new version of their Konrad, I like using my own ink...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Got out my water pens today. I tried filling one with ink and made a HUGE mess. But the ink finally made an impressive wash. I plan to keep practicing. I figure since I am a beginner I have an advantage. I can only get better. Sure can't get any worse.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh, Steven - it's a GEM! I (almost) never leave home without pentel pocket brush pen!

    Kate;
    I would definitely try it - my Ahab flex one though just dies - a little over one month old - and I cannot make it flow again :(

    Linda - good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Linda, keep messing with it! Nina, sorry to hear that about your Ahab! I don't know if you took it apart, but are you aware that on that pen the nib section only goes in one way, against the out-of-round bit? It's difficult to discern but makes all the difference. If that doesn't do it, I'd definitely contact wherever you got it. (And hoping it's Goulet pens, because Brian's terrific about working with you!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kate; you are a treasure - I searched for different videos to understand the out-of-round bit better and kept fiddling with the pen and IT IS WRITING AGAIN! :)
    Off to do some more testing ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful, Nina! Glad to help...needless to say, someone else helped ME with it.

    ReplyDelete

We'd love your feedback...please share your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...