28 ARTISTS & JOURNALISTS
their work and words, interviews, blogs, images, hints, tips, websites
and more...

Thursday, July 19, 2012

Scouting for a Sketchcrawl


This was my quick sketch of the wetlands demo at the Anita Gorman Discovery Center, a Missouri Department of Conservation nature center.

It's a beautiful facility with lots to look at and explore...this is the lobby, looking toward the gift /book shop
I'd walked enough that my knees complained, so I tottered over to the tables by the wetlands display to sketch--handy!
I was trying out my Noodler's Konrad pen and some gorgeous new ink also from Noodler's, Kung Te-Chung, a blue so dark it's almost black.  Waterproof, too!  (Their little ink samplers are FUN.)  Brian at GouletPens.com also suggested Polar Brown, which seems to be working well, too.

Here's my setup with my new bag...more on that in a day or so!  Works great, so far...

The site has a wonderful garden, a prairie habitat, a half-size copy of Lewis & Clark's boat, mounts, skulls, turtles, bird feeders and SO much more...we'll definitely be having a sketchcrawl there!

10 comments:

  1. Every time I read about a sketch crawl I chuckle to myself. No one around this area knows what I am talking about nor do they want to try. Sigh~~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Any suggestions on getting a Sketch crawl started in our town? I would love to attend one also but not have to travel too far. I live about an hour outside of Atlanta

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Which side of Atlanta? How far to Montgomery AL? I live about 30 miles north of Montgomery and would be willing to meet you half-way? Maybe get another couple of people to join? I'm a watercolorist/P&I artist.

      Delete
  3. Good photos and sketches. Thanks to share!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sue, Lisa, here's what I just put in our Facebook group, with a bit extra--have you got an art supply store, college or university near you? Gallery, co-op maybe? You could put a notice on the bulletin board, or if they have a blog, do it there. Even your local paper might run an article to get you started!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kate do you or your group travel to other countries to do sketch crawls?

    ReplyDelete
  6. No, we're pretty localized, Shelly. Individual members do, though!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good post, loved the photos and of course the sketch.
    thanks for sharing... BJ

    ReplyDelete
  8. What pen would you recommend for sketching? The Noodlers Konrad pen, Lamy? Most expressive line? thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lamy seems to be the most dependable, but I normally choose one of the Noodler's flex pens for their thick-and-thin responsive and yes, expressive lines!

      Delete

We'd love your feedback...please share your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...