28 ARTISTS & JOURNALISTS
their work and words, interviews, blogs, images, hints, tips, websites
and more...

Saturday, May 14, 2016

playing with a fat 4-color watercolor pencil


Quite some time ago, just after we moved to Texas, I had a 'splurge' day at Jerry's Artarama in Austin. Among my purchases was this fat watercolor pencil containing 4 colors. For some reason, I never got around to playing with it . . . until this week.


It is actually a lot of fun to sketch with! I like letting go of color expectation, allowing the color just to happen. And the subtle effect of just touching a damp brush to singular areas only. I added watercolor to the flower blossom in the upper right corner just to see how that worked; I also added watercolor in the sketch of the pencil and sharpener.


My favorite is this quick sketch of Beorn Bearcat, with just a hint of green watercolor added for his eye, plus a bit of black ink for the pupil.

6 comments:

  1. I think I have one of those - unused! What a fun and whimsical look. Now I have to find it...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bought mine on an impulse . . . then hadn't a clue what to do with it. But letting go of expected color can make line-drawing fun!

      Delete
  2. FUN. I didn't know they came in watercolor too...so glad you finally got around to it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was a loose basket full of them on the counter of Jerry's Artarama so I splurged. I have since learned that you can buy sets of watercolor pencils with multiple-color leads, but I can't remember the brand.

      Delete
  3. It IS fun! It forces me to let go of the need to get the colors "right" (something I tend to fuss about), allowing me to just let the lines play on the paper.

    ReplyDelete

We'd love your feedback...please share your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...