28 ARTISTS & JOURNALISTS
their work and words, interviews, blogs, images, hints, tips, websites
and more...

Sunday, March 16, 2014

Finally, sketching outdoors again!

And ended up making a journal spread...

This is the finished spread...trying out new colors!

All I got done on the spot; my ink wasn't drying!  It was Noodler's Lexington Gray in a Hero bent-nib pen, and usually dries quickly.  Not yesterday!  So this morning I decided to take my time and mask off the little waterfalls and ripples!

I'm testing new watercolors from Golden--QoR paints, pronounced "core"!  You'll be hearing more about them...happily, I had an unused palette to put them in.
I decided to use a lot of wet-in-wet to keep it fresh...lots of Naples Yellow and Quin Gold in the rocks...

I used my little sprayer to soften the fore edge, and laid in the fish while the water was still wet.

Removed the mask and added a headline...strengthened some areas in the background...

I tried to keep the feeling of motion in the water...

Pleased with the fish!

I used a pen made from a honeysuckle twig for the pampas grass...

And my new Sharpie EF water-based marker defined the water a bit more.  It's acrylic, so I could paint over it when it dried...nice.
All in all, I was pleased with the spread for how it preserved the day--strong winter sunshine and a good day with old friends.  I'm a bit of an introvert (OK, understatement!) and spending a little time sketching in the midst of the party helped keep me focused.

AND I was pleased with the paints, which are strongly pigmented and re-wet nicely.  You'll be hearing more about them as I try out more things...

22 comments:

  1. How pretty. I enjoyed seeing all of the step you took. The results are splendid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely - and love those colors, Kate! Is that a Cobalt Teal I see?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always enjoy your paintings and sketches Cathy, this one is so peaceful. I must ask did you use a brush to apply the masking gum or is there other ways to apply it to a painting as well. I am not a party person at all and thankfully I go to them maybe once a year if that, I was going to ask how your friends and family respond to you sketching at parties but I guess they are used to it, do they leave you to it or do they hover ? As I have told you on Fb I am still at that very shy stage when it come to painting in public. Thank you for sharing how you do your work too Cathy as I have learnt a lot from you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used a stick, actually, and then a toothpick!

      Sometimes they hover a little, but mostly they're used to it!

      And thank you!

      Delete
  4. Kate! This is a gorgeous sketch! The colors are mesmerizing. What colors did you use for the fountain/fall and pool of water? The fish and the rocks are so complimentary, and the Sharpie paint pen is brilliant!! Thank you so much for this step by step! It's nice to see what is possible with adding color later!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly, I don't remember exactly what the colors were, Wendi--they're not my normal paints. It was Indian Yellow with one of the blues...

      Delete
  5. Love the vibrancy of your sketch and I always love seeing your step-by-steps. I go back and forth looking at each step, both learning and getting inspired to go outside and do likewise. I am the same way in parties and other group activities. I recently told Steve my sketchbook is like a security blanket when I'm in a crowd.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly, Melissa! Even if I don't sketch I always have it with me! I'm SO not a party person.

      Delete
  6. This is beautiful, love the colors. Wish I was there!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those fish are to die for, Kate. You caught the motion with your blurring.
    Just love the paints. Looking forward to seeing more about them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those look like some nicely pigmented paints and are so new Dick Blick doesn't have them. ;) Beautiful sketching, as usual. I like how the white Sharpie paint pen worked on the watercolors. Fun to play with new toys! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, they're still in the testing stages, the samples I got didn't even have colored labels and they're not in the final type of tube, Rita! Really cutting edge!

      Delete
  9. Thanks, all, I'm having fun experimenting! They don't even have the whole line packaged yet, so hoping for some lighter yellow and a Phthalo blue to play with.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great result, and maybe even greater that you shared the different stages. It's so inspiring! How much time did you spend on it approx? I have to go over a huge barrier to work outside, but when I do it, it's so relaxing and rewarding.... Are you going to make a painting based on this sketch or will you leave it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure about the time...the initial sketch, probably less than 10-15 minutes, and adding color another 30-45? And no, no need to make a painting; I do most of my work in my journals now.

      Delete
  11. I love the fish in this one! Your blog has helped me so much lately; from technique to supplies, the information is very valuable, and I've used a lot of your tips to improve my own work.
    One little detail I noticed in one of the photos for this post was an empty Truvia container used for a water pot--what I brilliant idea! I had several hoping to find a use for them--and I used one yesterday while painting at a local marsh. Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They DO work well! I also have a small plastic refrigerator storage box with a water tight lid that gets used a lot...I love recycling!

      Delete
    2. The Truvia containers work well too, because they're square and not so tippy as some things!

      Delete
  12. Thanks for steps Kate this is really beautiful!
    I also have done some paintings, they are not that good, but I'm trying my best to create the one I fall in love with. I have ordered some tuner watercolor paints online from Jerry's Artarama. After that, I might give the paints you mentioned a try as well. Again, beautiful work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sarah, have a wonderful time exploring your new paints!

      Delete

We'd love your feedback...please share your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...