28 ARTISTS & JOURNALISTS
their work and words, interviews, blogs, images, hints, tips, websites
and more...

Sunday, August 2, 2015

a new hand bound leather-wrapped journal


This art journal was bound last year using Kilimanjaro paper from Cheap Joe's and a scrap of leather from an upholstery shop --- they let me have the leather scrap free! It's soft and pliable, wrapping around the text block. This time, I sewed the paper signatures directly to the leather, one at a time, using hand-dyed silk threads. Which means the middle two-page spreads of each signature will have colorful silk thread running down the middle, but I like how the colored threads look on the outside spine.


4 comments:

  1. Really like this ... love the colored binding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, to hand sew each page one by one...that definitely takes some commitment! I've never done it before, but I can only imagine what it must feel like to not only fill the pages with your own artwork but to have literally created the book yourself. Beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kyleen, before I began sketching again I spent a lot of time embroidering ___ love hand sewing! ___ so sewing book signatures together isn't so hard. There are some great sketchbooks out there but I do love working in my own books best.

    ReplyDelete

We'd love your feedback...please share your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...