28 ARTISTS & JOURNALISTS
their work and words, interviews, blogs, images, hints, tips, websites
and more...

Friday, October 26, 2012

My color-challenge continues...

This one was done right after I did all the color tests in my journal...I had an old Shaffer calligraphy pen in my purse and added the color from memory, which often works better for me.  Fresher color!

Down in the Ozarks this past week, I knew I'd have a REAL challenge, with all the fall colors.  This one was done on the spot...
My new walker gave me a place to carry all my art supplies and my camera, as well as a place to sit while I worked, but I found I did need a separate table of some sort.  The arm rests really kind of got in the way if I tried to sit and work in my lap, and my journal tended to slide off my knees onto the ground.  So I'd usually park near a bench...

The same day, as evening came on...I wasn't really happy with the one on the left, the darker colors got muddy on me and the brights were TOO bright.  The sun was going down behind this big hill, so I wanted the shadowy effect, but think I should have kept it cooler and grayer...

Still, it was fun to try to capture the effect of fire in this small sketch that was on one corner of a journal page...

I kept it simple with this one...and liked the effect.
Did I stick completely to my primaries-only plus Burnt Sienna and Payne's Grey palette?  Nope, occasionally I just wanted the colors and textures offered by my original set.  I LOVE granulating colors, and the simple set doesn't offer that.


I also found myself reaching for my original little Altoids kit with the primaries instead of the newer kit...but basically it's the same primaries, a warm yellow, Quin Red, and Phthalo Blue, plus B.S. and P.G. It's light and handy and slips into my purse.

I'm enjoying the challenge, but don't consider myself tied...it's a choice, not a geas!

27 comments:

  1. Enjoying the post and your little adventures, all of them juicy and exiting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So lovely, Cathy. I real like the second one and the freeshness of everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your trees are amazing I will have to watch and learn.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always love seeing your sketches Kate. Where in the Ozarks were you? We just returned from a short stay at Devil's Den State Park in Arkansas, where they also have nice CCC cabins.

    ReplyDelete
  5. All together wonderful. So love the freshness of your work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kate- We are all headed in the direction of the walker...I hope you realize there is a great niche market for a walker you can sit and paint in.....get Joseph to work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks all! Cheryl, we were at Bennett Springs, but YES, my cousin and his wife stay in one of those cabins at Devil's Den. Gorgeous! Jeanette, he's already on it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fabulous post and sketches! I'd love to spend a long time looking through this journal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you--you'll be missed tomorrow! I'll try to remember to bring it next time you can join us.

      Delete
    2. I'll miss you too! Bill and I ate out tonight as a "consolation" meal since we couldn't make it to sketch crawl. (Oh . . . and to celebrate his birthday a few days early)
      I disagree with you re: the above sketches' coloring. All show a real atmospheric moodiness to me --- a tangible change in seasons.

      Delete
    3. Tell him happy birthday for us! And thank you...

      Delete
  9. I just can't get enough of your art, Kate. And while I take seriously everything you say about art, I have to disagree with your assessment of the sketch of Joe fishing. The dark background speaks to the size and power of nature relative to the diminutive fisherman and having just experienced our forest's annual color show, I don't find the colors in your work to be too bright.

    Question time. When you did the large, red/orange tree painting, did you either mentally or with pencil lay out the tree structure, paint the foliage and then add the ink/paint branches or some other sequence? Sure looks great.

    Cheers --- Larry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Larry! The sumac really was that kind of rose red, but it looked a bit gaudy on paper next to the brownish hill, to me.

      I did the ink first, just keeping in mind where the foliage masses were, and kept looking back up at the tree to place them. Fun!

      Delete
  10. Kate, love your trees and the fireplace! Could you share what your original palette would be? I too, wanted to tweak the yellow, a little too green for me. I ditto Larry's question, love to learn about your process.............

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here's pretty much my longtime basics, Cathy: http://www.flickr.com/photos/cathy-johnson/2342448024/in/set-72157604173444404/ though I vary a bit here and there. Don't use Cadmium as much any more, and often have Manganese Blue Hue in there somewhere. I did a new demo of this at some point but not sure where it is!

      Delete
    2. Ah, found the later palette...which has ALSO changed, some...http://www.flickr.com/photos/cathy-johnson/8126242177/in/photostream

      Delete
  11. I must have missed a post someplace. I didn't realize you were using a walker. If anybody can figure out how to sketch and paint using a walker, you can! Or between you and Joseph--LOL! Beautiful work, as always. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's just temporary, Rita! I messed up my knee in early October, but it's a lot better now. I'll take the walker when I need to go a distance, but I'm not using it around the house now, knock wood!

      Delete
  12. Really like your use of the primaries. It's also fun to pour them on a sheet of watercolor paper, keeping in mind what colors and blends you want in various areas of your sketch, letting them run together freely, but guiding and blending them a little with your fingers and brush. Great serendipities!

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow the colors in these sketches are so rich! Your color challenge plus the fall leaves are conspiring. I think I might try limiting my pallet to see what happens...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks all, I'm really enjoying the challenge. I've done the pouring and spraying thing, too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely trees and landscapes! I especially like the watercolor of the red tree from the Ozarks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Richard! I'm having fun with this self-test, as you can see.

      Delete
  17. Wonderful work, Kate!! Brilliant, yet simple.

    ReplyDelete

We'd love your feedback...please share your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...