28 ARTISTS & JOURNALISTS
their work and words, interviews, blogs, images, hints, tips, websites
and more...

Sunday, March 10, 2013

Sometimes things don't work out...


For years, I avoided keeping a journal of my drawings and paintings because I feared the "failed page". Then I heard you could rip out pages that are totally embarrassing, and plunged in!
I painted these orchids at a local nursery and what a disaster! The yellow orchid was very pale and the purple orchid colors just looked muddy. 


When I got home, I set about "reclaiming" the page, since it's the backside of another journal page and I no longer feel I have to hide my mistakes.
First, I drew an ink border on the page - instant balance! Then I intensified the colors on the yellow orchid. Since the purple orchid was already muddy, I didn't want to wade back in with color, but I wrote orchid facts all over the petals with a white gel pen. I especially like the texture the writing created on the orchid leaves….quite life-like.
I still don't like this page, but it's less awful now, and I learned a bit about how to save things.

3 comments:

  1. First of all, I admire your attempt on orchids. I haven't been able to be happy with one yet. BUT I think your "rescue" is amazing and you are so right, very lifelike. Great post. I hope you grow to like the page as much as I do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so much fun! NICE save, even if you're not totally happy with it, it's INTERESTING.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And if all else fails, glue a tinted sheet over the whole thing and begin again!

    ReplyDelete

We'd love your feedback...please share your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...