28 ARTISTS & JOURNALISTS
their work and words, interviews, blogs, images, hints, tips, websites
and more...

Thursday, August 22, 2013

a secret to quicker sketching

Normally, I am a very slow sketcher --- slow at choosing a subject and slow at determining how to place it on a sketchbook page. Usually penciling in the basics (or more) before ink, then inking in just the most important lines, erasing the pencil lines, and finally adding watercolor washes. Overall, a very slow process!

Lately I have been trying to streamline my process. I've been carrying a pen, one small plastic pill box, a waterbrush, and reusable cloth. I'm getting braver at drawing directly in ink, though sometimes I'll use a blue-gray watercolor pencil which does not require erasing. But the best thing I've found to speed things up has been to cut down to only 2 watercolors: ultramarine blue and burnt umber. The above sketch was painted using only these (except the tiny diagram of optional color). When drawing on-site, I add just the warm and cool shadows. Later at home, I can add a bit of color if I wish. This really lightens my bag as well as taking away distracting options that slow me down.

If I think I'll have time to add color on-site, the second pill box holds 3 half-pans of basic color: quinacridone red or rose, a cool yellow, phthalo blue, goethite brown umber, and quinacridone burnt orange. All my recent sketches have been using these, and I am actually getting better . . . more confident in drawing as well as faster. Maybe I'll get more than one thing drawn at the next sketchcrawl.

17 comments:

  1. Kudos to you for challenging yourself! I've always enjoyed your renderings but I understand your frustration, as well - I'm a slowpoke, too. I might borrow your setup ideas; thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vicki - this sounds like a great way to keep things simple. Never thought about using burnt umber with Ultramarine blue - have used Ultra Marine blue with Burnt Sienna...will give these two colors a try. Thanks for sharing. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great tips and sketch....thanks, Vicky! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for taking the time to explain all your processes. It starts the thinking all over again about how much can be stripped out of the complicated processes we create for ourselves. Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We really do seem to make things harder on ourselves too often . . . at least I do. Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  5. Love those darling little palettes... very minimal indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All those little palettes I collect, and here I am using 2 pill boxes from the drug store! Comical!

      Delete
  6. Thanks for sharing the two watercolor idea. Inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Vicky, that's brilliant! LOVE your sketches, always, but this is such a great idea...

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is my problem! Carrying far too much around and so not sketching at all! I love this post! Thank you :0)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks, everyone!
    In my case, slowness shows a lack of confidence. Take away the extra choices and I am pushed to focus on the matter in front of me. Still working on the confidence thing though.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Any lack of confidence sure doesn't show! But good for you, this approach definitely will help with focus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ;^)
      And, hey! --- I'm actually noticing values over lines now, without even thinking about it! If I lightly pencil something in (watercolor pencil to avoid having to erase), I find myself adding the blue-brown mixed shadows first --- before drawing the ink lines.

      Delete
  11. GREAT advice! Thank you. Your sketch is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is a great post. I actually just put in those two colors into a small tin container for mints. I haven't used it yet, which is crazy. It's in my purse, but I have so many supplies - even after selling an entire truckload (not kidding), that I, like you, tend to carry too many supplies for sketching on the go. It makes things more difficult the more you have to choose from I think. I really like your advice and thank you for posting it. I am inspired to try mine out.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi, Deborah! This has really helped me get started on a sketch easier, as well as lightening my load. I have not been sketching much lately due to recent events (husband's heart attack) but I know keeping things simple will help me get back into it.

    ReplyDelete

We'd love your feedback...please share your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...